ESA BIC Start-up Challenge
The ESA BIC Start-up Challenge of the INNOspace Masters is looking for new business ideas and models. Technology transfer ideas from other industries to space and vice versa can include the following areas:
- Mobility applications/solutions
- Progressive optimisation solutions
- Customer-oriented solutions to increase efficiency
- Components or subsystems
- or any other idea related to space
Start-ups are invited to submit their innovative products and services for new space economy concepts.
The ESA BIC Challenge is looking for start-ups for the space market that will be supported by two German ESA BICs (ESA BIC Bavaria und ESA BIC Darmstadt) after a successful “entry into new spheres”. The aim of the incubation programme is the foundation of a new company with a new product or service in the field of the space industry, in order to acquire new customers within two years.
- The prize winner will receive support in the development of a viable business concept
- The prize winner will receive support for the application for one of the two ESA BICs in Germany with an opportunity for funding of 50,000 Euro
- In addition, the ESA BICs provide the winner with access to a pan-European network of experts that supports the development of the company – from a technological and economic point of view
Space creates innovations that are used in many industries and in everyday life. The two German business incubators of ESA (ESA BIC Darmstadt and ESA BIC Bavaria) have already supported more than 200 business start-ups, thus promoting the transfer of technology from space to a wide range of commercial application areas. For example, new materials, Earth observation, logistics, medicine, mobility, navigation or big data, to name just a few.
Meanwhile, space is also benefiting from the technical development leaps from many “terrestrial” industrial sectors, such as microelectronics, materials science and the IT industry. New ambitious space programmes are now also being set up by the private industry and innovative start-up companies.